`Education schemes den of graft in Chhattisgarh`
Raipur: Two key Centre-sponsored education schemes are riddled with rampant corruption in BJP-ruled Chhattisgarh, opposition Congress alleged on Thursday.
Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) and Rajiv Gandhi Shiksha Mission (RGSM) have become a "den" of large-scale corruption, Chhattisgarh Congress spokesman Anand Shukla said.
The Congress-led UPA government had given Rs 678.63 crore to the state in 2010-11 under SSA, the Centre`s flagship programme for universalisation of elementary education. However, this fund is being misused by the BJP government, he charged.
Under RGSM, festivals are organised to create interest for education among children. At these festivals, children are provided temporary shelter and food. But these things are not happening in Chhattisgarh, Shukla claimed.
There is also a provision under RGSM to provide drinking water facility in schools. But rampant irregularities have been reported in implementation of this provision, the Congress leader alleged.
In Bastar district, hand pumps were set up in 1,312 primary schools at a cost of over Rs 12 crore. However, these hand pumps are now out of order, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India