Eight killed in road collision in Raigarh
Raigarh: Eight people of a marriage party, including the groom, were killed and six others injured when their SUV collided head-on with a trailer in Raigarh district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Monday.
The bride sustained injuries in the accident that took place in Kharsiya region, about 45 kms from Raigarh town, on Kharsiya-Shakti highway late last night, Kharsiya Sub Divisional Officer of Police (SDOP) Neha Pandey told PTI.
The SUV, carrying 14 of the marriage party, was returning after the wedding from Baradwar village to Lailunga (the groom`s native village), while the trailer was coming from the opposite direction, Pandey added.
The impact of the collision left seven people including the driver and groom dead on the spot, while a minor died at a local hospital this morning during treatment.
The deceased were identified as groom Gopal Paikra (40), driver Prem Singh (28), Shanti Bai (55), Ganga Bai (35), Rajni Bai (25), Rajmati (40), Janki Bai (52) and Rajesh (15), she said.
Of the six injured passengers, four have been admitted to a local hospital in Kharsiya, she said, adding that two of them, who were critical, were rushed to Raigarh for treatment.
The trailer has been impounded while the driver fled from the spot soon after the incident, the SDOP said.
A case has been registered and further probe is on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city