Eight killed in road collision in Raigarh
Raigarh: Eight people of a marriage party, including the groom, were killed and six others injured when their SUV collided head-on with a trailer in Raigarh district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Monday.
The bride sustained injuries in the accident that took place in Kharsiya region, about 45 kms from Raigarh town, on Kharsiya-Shakti highway late last night, Kharsiya Sub Divisional Officer of Police (SDOP) Neha Pandey told PTI.
The SUV, carrying 14 of the marriage party, was returning after the wedding from Baradwar village to Lailunga (the groom`s native village), while the trailer was coming from the opposite direction, Pandey added.
The impact of the collision left seven people including the driver and groom dead on the spot, while a minor died at a local hospital this morning during treatment.
The deceased were identified as groom Gopal Paikra (40), driver Prem Singh (28), Shanti Bai (55), Ganga Bai (35), Rajni Bai (25), Rajmati (40), Janki Bai (52) and Rajesh (15), she said.
Of the six injured passengers, four have been admitted to a local hospital in Kharsiya, she said, adding that two of them, who were critical, were rushed to Raigarh for treatment.
The trailer has been impounded while the driver fled from the spot soon after the incident, the SDOP said.
A case has been registered and further probe is on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda