Eight killed in road collision in Raigarh
Raigarh: Eight people of a marriage party, including the groom, were killed and six others injured when their SUV collided head-on with a trailer in Raigarh district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Monday.
The bride sustained injuries in the accident that took place in Kharsiya region, about 45 kms from Raigarh town, on Kharsiya-Shakti highway late last night, Kharsiya Sub Divisional Officer of Police (SDOP) Neha Pandey told PTI.
The SUV, carrying 14 of the marriage party, was returning after the wedding from Baradwar village to Lailunga (the groom`s native village), while the trailer was coming from the opposite direction, Pandey added.
The impact of the collision left seven people including the driver and groom dead on the spot, while a minor died at a local hospital this morning during treatment.
The deceased were identified as groom Gopal Paikra (40), driver Prem Singh (28), Shanti Bai (55), Ganga Bai (35), Rajni Bai (25), Rajmati (40), Janki Bai (52) and Rajesh (15), she said.
Of the six injured passengers, four have been admitted to a local hospital in Kharsiya, she said, adding that two of them, who were critical, were rushed to Raigarh for treatment.
The trailer has been impounded while the driver fled from the spot soon after the incident, the SDOP said.
A case has been registered and further probe is on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok