Eight Maoists surrender in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur
Eight Maoists, including two women, surrendered before police in Bijapur district of South Bastar region on Sunday, a senior official said.
Raipur: Eight Maoists, including two women, surrendered before police in Bijapur district of South Bastar region on Sunday, a senior official said.
"The cadres said they were disappointed with the naxal ideology and were frustrated with the kind of life they were living," IG (Bastar) SRP Kalluri told PTI.
He said out of the eight ultras, Prakash Podyami (20) was the prominent one.
Podyami had been inducted into the CPI (Maoist) as CNM member in 2004 and worked as a deputy commander of section-A (company-1) in the banned outfit, the IG said.
Podyami was in close association with some prominent Maoist leaders and was trained in handling sophisticated weapons along with planting explosive devices, he said, adding that Podyami was carrying a reward of?Rs 3 lakh on his head.
Besides him, Shankar Poyam (30) and Ramsu Tamo (21) were also carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh each on them, Kalluri said.
Other naxals who turned themselves in are identified as Vetti Aytu (42), Mohan Vatti (27), Sukhram Hemla (29), Munni Paodiyami (30), and Malti (20).
They will be rehabilitated as per the policy of the state government and necessary assistance will be provided to them, the IG added.