Eight Maoists with rewards on their heads held in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Eight Maoists, five of them carrying reward on their heads, were arrested from separate places in the insurgency-hit Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, the police said here on Tuesday.
Six Maoist cadres, including a woman, were held from the Bangapal police station limits of Bijapur district during a search operation, Bijapur Superintendent of Police K L Dhruv told PTI.
They were wanted in several incidents of crimes, including murder, loot, arson, kidnapping and attacks on police patrols since 2003, the police officer said.
Last evening, a local police team was sent into the interiors of the Bangapal region, located around 450 km away from the state capital, for a combing operation.
After they reached the forests of Bangoli village, they rounded up six people on suspicion, who later admitted their involvement in activities of the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) since several years, the official said.
Those arrested were identified as Shankar Warsa (50), Somaru Warsa (35), Gopi (32), Budhram Tamo (36), Kadiyam Nehru (38) and a woman called Sundari Warsa, he said, adding that they were active in the South Bastar region.
Shankar, Somaru, Gopi and Sundari carried a reward of Rs 5,000 each on their heads, he said.
In a separate incident, Lalu Korram (25) who carried a reward of Rs 10,000 on his head, was apprehended from Jhara police station limits of Narayanpur district today, a senior police official said.
Acting on a specific input, a joint contingent of the Chhattisgarh Armed Force and the district police nabbed the rebel from the Badenghol forests.
In another search operation, a Maoist cadre identified as Daya Ram Dhruve (21) was nabbed from Bilaikachhar village under Siksod police station limits last evening, Kanker Superintendent of Police R N Dash told PTI.
A joint party of the Border Security Force and the district police were on a combing exercise in Siksod region when they received a tip-off about the movement of a suspicious man near Bilaikachhar.
Subsequently, the cadre was rounded up by the security forces, he said.
During interrogation, he admitted of being involved in several offences, including attacks on police party, loot, arson and other criminal activities the area, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users