Eight Maoists with rewards on their heads held in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Eight Maoists, five of them carrying reward on their heads, were arrested from separate places in the insurgency-hit Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, the police said here on Tuesday.
Six Maoist cadres, including a woman, were held from the Bangapal police station limits of Bijapur district during a search operation, Bijapur Superintendent of Police K L Dhruv told PTI.
They were wanted in several incidents of crimes, including murder, loot, arson, kidnapping and attacks on police patrols since 2003, the police officer said.
Last evening, a local police team was sent into the interiors of the Bangapal region, located around 450 km away from the state capital, for a combing operation.
After they reached the forests of Bangoli village, they rounded up six people on suspicion, who later admitted their involvement in activities of the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) since several years, the official said.
Those arrested were identified as Shankar Warsa (50), Somaru Warsa (35), Gopi (32), Budhram Tamo (36), Kadiyam Nehru (38) and a woman called Sundari Warsa, he said, adding that they were active in the South Bastar region.
Shankar, Somaru, Gopi and Sundari carried a reward of Rs 5,000 each on their heads, he said.
In a separate incident, Lalu Korram (25) who carried a reward of Rs 10,000 on his head, was apprehended from Jhara police station limits of Narayanpur district today, a senior police official said.
Acting on a specific input, a joint contingent of the Chhattisgarh Armed Force and the district police nabbed the rebel from the Badenghol forests.
In another search operation, a Maoist cadre identified as Daya Ram Dhruve (21) was nabbed from Bilaikachhar village under Siksod police station limits last evening, Kanker Superintendent of Police R N Dash told PTI.
A joint party of the Border Security Force and the district police were on a combing exercise in Siksod region when they received a tip-off about the movement of a suspicious man near Bilaikachhar.
Subsequently, the cadre was rounded up by the security forces, he said.
During interrogation, he admitted of being involved in several offences, including attacks on police party, loot, arson and other criminal activities the area, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch