`Exploring all options to ensure Menon`s release`
Raipur: The Chhattisgarh government on Monday said it was exploring all possible options to ensure safe release of Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon, abducted by Naxals on Saturday.
"The state government is exploring all options and making efforts to ensure safe release of Menon and is making efforts in this regard," Chief Minister Raman Singh told reporters here.
He said the state government has been in continuous touch with the Centre since the IAS officer was kidnapped on Saturday by Maoists from Sukma district`s Majhipara village, where he was attending a government outreach programme.
"All neighbouring states have been alerted about the abduction and there is better coordination in all the states...We are continuously in touch with the Centre," the chief minister said.
He also informed that an all-party meeting has been convened in Raipur this evening and the suggestions emerging at the meeting could be helpful in ensuring the release of the collector.
Meanwhile, Additional Director General of Police Ram Nivas (anti-Naxal operations) said the abducted IAS officer was "safe" even as his captors are frequently changing their hideouts.
"The state police is in touch with their counterparts from the bordering states," he said, adding the security of the senior officers working in Naxal-hit areas has been increased following the incident.
Maoists yesterday set April 25 as deadline for the release of the IAS officer and demanded release of eight of their jailed leaders in Chhattisgarh in exchange of the collector`s freedom.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan