`Exploring all options to ensure Menon`s release`
Raipur: The Chhattisgarh government on Monday said it was exploring all possible options to ensure safe release of Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon, abducted by Naxals on Saturday.
"The state government is exploring all options and making efforts to ensure safe release of Menon and is making efforts in this regard," Chief Minister Raman Singh told reporters here.
He said the state government has been in continuous touch with the Centre since the IAS officer was kidnapped on Saturday by Maoists from Sukma district`s Majhipara village, where he was attending a government outreach programme.
"All neighbouring states have been alerted about the abduction and there is better coordination in all the states...We are continuously in touch with the Centre," the chief minister said.
He also informed that an all-party meeting has been convened in Raipur this evening and the suggestions emerging at the meeting could be helpful in ensuring the release of the collector.
Meanwhile, Additional Director General of Police Ram Nivas (anti-Naxal operations) said the abducted IAS officer was "safe" even as his captors are frequently changing their hideouts.
"The state police is in touch with their counterparts from the bordering states," he said, adding the security of the senior officers working in Naxal-hit areas has been increased following the incident.
Maoists yesterday set April 25 as deadline for the release of the IAS officer and demanded release of eight of their jailed leaders in Chhattisgarh in exchange of the collector`s freedom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof