Fewer Naxal-related incidents in 2012 against 2011: Chhattisgarh DGP
Raipur: Chhattisgarh police on Tuesday claimed a significant drop in Naxal-related incidents with 409 incidents being reported in 2012 compared to 530 the previous year.
"The state has witnessed 23 per cent fall in Naxal related incidents last year (2012) as against 2011," Director General of Police Ram Niwas told reporters here.
He said as against 530 Naxal-related incidents reported during 2011, a total of 409 such incidents were reported in 2012 till December-end.
The top cop said that encounters between Maoist insurgents and security forces have also declined. "At least 117 gun battles reportedly occurred last year (2012) compared to around 147 in 2011," he added.
While 37 ultras were killed and 436 arrested in 2012, 103 land-mines and arms, detonators, magazines and wireless sets in large quantity, have been recovered during the same period.
Impressed with policies of the state government for rehabilitation of naxalites, 37 ultras laid down arms in 2012, the DGP said.
"Police casualties in Naxal-related incidents during 2012 were 41, while four assistant constables died in the whole year," he informed.
For the first time in the state, 120 constables were elevated to sub-inspector rank while 60 head constables were promoted as platoon commanders under `one-time promotion scheme`, the DGP said, adding nearly 74 police officials have been given out-of-turn promotions for their brave services in Naxal-infested areas.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Revealed! Sanjay Dutt opens up about his comeback plans
- Goa Board 12th HSSC Result 2016: Goaresults.nic.in & Gbshse.gov.in GBSHSE Class 12th HSSC Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 10, 2016
- Head of All World Gayatri Pariwar Pranav Pandya nominated to Rajya Sabha
- India received $48 billion in remittances in 9 months of last fiscal
- Rajya Sabha accepts Vijay Mallya's fresh resignation