Former Salwa Judum leader`s brother killed by Naxals
Raipur: Brother of a former Salwa Judum leader was killed by suspected Naxalites in Maoist-hit Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Monday.
Banshilal Gota (40), elder brother of Chinnaram Gota, who was a leader of the erstwhile anti-Naxalite movement Salwa Judum, was killed by suspected ultras in Somanpali village under Farsegarh police station, around 350 km away from the state capital, a senior official told a news agency over phone.
Security forces were immediately dispatched to the spot, the official said, adding, Bashilal`s body was brought to Farsegarh police station.
"Prima facie it appears that the victim was strangled to death, but the exact cause of death would be ascertained only after the autopsy," the official added.
According to villagers, a group of naxalities stormed into the victim`s house last night and dragged him out of his home.
He was then thrashed with lathis and was taken away.
However, he was found dead in the morning, the official said, adding, Banshilal was not associated with the movement.
Notably, a former Janpad member and prominent Salwa Judum leader, Chinnaram, was gunned down by Maoists in Bijapur in December last year. A police jawan, who was guarding him, had also lost his life in the incident.
Salwa Judum, an anti-Maoist civil militia, was disarmed and disbanded in the state following the Supreme Court order declaring as illegal and unconstitutional the deployment of tribal youths as Special Police Officers in the fight against the Maoist insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day