Four cops killed in Naxal attacks in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Four police personnel were on Sunday killed and another was injured in two separate attacks by suspected Naxalites in Maoist-hit Bastar and Sukma districts of Chhattisgarh, police said.
The first incident took place at the Doordarshan transmission centre at Marenga village under Parpa police station in the district at around 3 AM, leaving three policemen dead and one injured, Director General of Police Ramniwas said.
He, however, said they were yet to verify whether the attack was carried out by Naxals. Marenga village is around 15 km from Jagdalpur, the district headquarters.
The deceased were identified as head constable Silbhanush Ekka and constables Alexander Lakra and Vasudev Sahu of Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF).
"The injured constable Majhar Khan has been referred to Raipur for treatment and was under observation," the DGP said.
In the second incident, a CAF jawan was killed when the ultras opened fire at his camp in Maoist-infested Sukma district, police said.
"Samaylal Kanwar, a native of Janjgir-Champa district, was killed after rebels attacked the camp of 9th and 13th battalion of CAF at Temelwada village under Dornapal region of the district," Sukma Additional Superintendent of Police S R Bhagat told PTI over phone.
When the jawans were at the camp, ultras opened indiscriminate firing that left one jawan dead. However, when the security forces opened retaliatory firing, the Naxals disappeared into the jungles, he said.
Security forces swung into action and launched a combing operation to nab the attackers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know