Four cops killed in Naxal attacks in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Four police personnel were on Sunday killed and another was injured in two separate attacks by suspected Naxalites in Maoist-hit Bastar and Sukma districts of Chhattisgarh, police said.
The first incident took place at the Doordarshan transmission centre at Marenga village under Parpa police station in the district at around 3 AM, leaving three policemen dead and one injured, Director General of Police Ramniwas said.
He, however, said they were yet to verify whether the attack was carried out by Naxals. Marenga village is around 15 km from Jagdalpur, the district headquarters.
The deceased were identified as head constable Silbhanush Ekka and constables Alexander Lakra and Vasudev Sahu of Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF).
"The injured constable Majhar Khan has been referred to Raipur for treatment and was under observation," the DGP said.
In the second incident, a CAF jawan was killed when the ultras opened fire at his camp in Maoist-infested Sukma district, police said.
"Samaylal Kanwar, a native of Janjgir-Champa district, was killed after rebels attacked the camp of 9th and 13th battalion of CAF at Temelwada village under Dornapal region of the district," Sukma Additional Superintendent of Police S R Bhagat told PTI over phone.
When the jawans were at the camp, ultras opened indiscriminate firing that left one jawan dead. However, when the security forces opened retaliatory firing, the Naxals disappeared into the jungles, he said.
Security forces swung into action and launched a combing operation to nab the attackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor
- Another milestone for captain marvellous: Virat Kohli completes 3000 Test runs