Four cops killed in Naxal attacks in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Four police personnel were on Sunday killed and another was injured in two separate attacks by suspected Naxalites in Maoist-hit Bastar and Sukma districts of Chhattisgarh, police said.
The first incident took place at the Doordarshan transmission centre at Marenga village under Parpa police station in the district at around 3 AM, leaving three policemen dead and one injured, Director General of Police Ramniwas said.
He, however, said they were yet to verify whether the attack was carried out by Naxals. Marenga village is around 15 km from Jagdalpur, the district headquarters.
The deceased were identified as head constable Silbhanush Ekka and constables Alexander Lakra and Vasudev Sahu of Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF).
"The injured constable Majhar Khan has been referred to Raipur for treatment and was under observation," the DGP said.
In the second incident, a CAF jawan was killed when the ultras opened fire at his camp in Maoist-infested Sukma district, police said.
"Samaylal Kanwar, a native of Janjgir-Champa district, was killed after rebels attacked the camp of 9th and 13th battalion of CAF at Temelwada village under Dornapal region of the district," Sukma Additional Superintendent of Police S R Bhagat told PTI over phone.
When the jawans were at the camp, ultras opened indiscriminate firing that left one jawan dead. However, when the security forces opened retaliatory firing, the Naxals disappeared into the jungles, he said.
Security forces swung into action and launched a combing operation to nab the attackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Gujarat ATS arrest two people for planning a bomb blast in Rajkot's Chotila temple
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter