Four cops suspended for suspected Maoist`s death
Raipur: Four policemen posted in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar region were suspended after a man suspected to be a Maoist died in custody, officials at the police headquarters here said on Sunday.
The death took place Friday night in a forested area of Sukma, a district recently carved out from insurgency-hit Dantewada district, police said.
The district authorities said a probe would be carried out after local people alleged that 26-year-old Poriami Mara was picked up by police from his house and died in police custody due to excessive police torture.
But officials at the police headquarters here dismissed the charges and claimed Mara was a local area commander of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) and was apprehended in a search operation from the Nilavaram forested area.
Police also said he committed suicide in the lockup and four policemen were suspended for it immediately.
Mara belonged to Kondare area, some 450 km south of state capital Raipur, a Maoist stronghold since the late 1980s.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev