Four cops suspended for suspected Maoist`s death
Raipur: Four policemen posted in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar region were suspended after a man suspected to be a Maoist died in custody, officials at the police headquarters here said on Sunday.
The death took place Friday night in a forested area of Sukma, a district recently carved out from insurgency-hit Dantewada district, police said.
The district authorities said a probe would be carried out after local people alleged that 26-year-old Poriami Mara was picked up by police from his house and died in police custody due to excessive police torture.
But officials at the police headquarters here dismissed the charges and claimed Mara was a local area commander of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) and was apprehended in a search operation from the Nilavaram forested area.
Police also said he committed suicide in the lockup and four policemen were suspended for it immediately.
Mara belonged to Kondare area, some 450 km south of state capital Raipur, a Maoist stronghold since the late 1980s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway