Full EC team to assess poll preparedness in Chhattisgarh
New Delhi: A full team of the Election Commission will be on a two-day visit to Chhattisgarh from Thursday for an on-the-spot assessment of poll preparedness in the Naxal-hit state.
The team of Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath and Election Commissioners H S Brahma and Nasim Zaidi will meet representatives of various political parties in Raipur besides poll officials of the state.
The EC officials will assess the situation in the state, especially in the Naxal-affected tribal areas.
Chhattisgarh goes to polls by the end of the year to elect its 90-member new assembly. The tenure of the assembly expires on January 4, 2014 and poll process has to be completed before that.
This will be the first meeting of the poll Commission in the state.
Madhya Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan and Mizoram will also go to polls by this year end.
The poll panel is evolving a strategy to ensure large participation of tribals in the elections. Poll officials in Chhattisgarh are also keen on increasing participation of tribals, but are apprehensive of Naxal attacks ahead or during the assembly elections.
A number of Congress leaders and workers, including former Union Minister V C Shukla, died after a Naxal attack in May during an election rally in the state.
There are almost 1.63 crore voters in the state. The ruling BJP won 50 seats in the last assembly election, while Congress won 38 and Bahujan Samaj Party two seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown