Gandhi becomes anti-liquor drive`s `brand ambassador`
Raipur: Mahatma Gandhi is the face of an anti-liquor drive of Chhattisgarh Beverages Corporation, a government-controlled organisation.
"Chhattisgarh Beverages Corporation is the country`s first government body in the liquor business to launch such an anti-liquor campaign as a part of its social responsibility. The Corporation has made Father of Nation Mahatma Gandhi brand ambassador of the drive," a government statement said.
The announcement was made yesterday when Chief Minister Raman Singh released Corporation`s calendar for 2013 which has photographs of Gandhi in different stages of his life.
The Corporation controls distribution of liquor shop licenses in the state, among other things.
"Mahatma Gandhi relentlessly campaigned against alcohol and the evil of drinking, and the calendar will inspire the people to stay away from alcoholism," the statement quoted Singh as saying.
Chairman of the Corporation Devji Bhai Patel said the calender will become an inspiration against alcoholism. The state wants to achieve total prohibition in phases, he said.
Patel added that the Corporation had closed liquor shops in all the villages with a population of less than 2,000, and later in the villages with population of less than 2,500. In all, 343 shops were closed down in the recent past.
Besides, the Corporation has also constituted 213 Bharat Mata Vahini, women organisations, which work to curb sale and consumption of liquor in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!