Gandhi becomes anti-liquor drive`s `brand ambassador`
Raipur: Mahatma Gandhi is the face of an anti-liquor drive of Chhattisgarh Beverages Corporation, a government-controlled organisation.
"Chhattisgarh Beverages Corporation is the country`s first government body in the liquor business to launch such an anti-liquor campaign as a part of its social responsibility. The Corporation has made Father of Nation Mahatma Gandhi brand ambassador of the drive," a government statement said.
The announcement was made yesterday when Chief Minister Raman Singh released Corporation`s calendar for 2013 which has photographs of Gandhi in different stages of his life.
The Corporation controls distribution of liquor shop licenses in the state, among other things.
"Mahatma Gandhi relentlessly campaigned against alcohol and the evil of drinking, and the calendar will inspire the people to stay away from alcoholism," the statement quoted Singh as saying.
Chairman of the Corporation Devji Bhai Patel said the calender will become an inspiration against alcoholism. The state wants to achieve total prohibition in phases, he said.
Patel added that the Corporation had closed liquor shops in all the villages with a population of less than 2,000, and later in the villages with population of less than 2,500. In all, 343 shops were closed down in the recent past.
Besides, the Corporation has also constituted 213 Bharat Mata Vahini, women organisations, which work to curb sale and consumption of liquor in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!