Girlfriends, bikes, cellphones to blame for mishaps: Raman
Raipur: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Saturday kicked up a controversy when he blamed "girlfriends, bikes and mobile phones" for the rising cases of road accidents in the state.
Speaking at a seminar on `Road Safety` at a medical institute, he expressed concern over rising number of youths dying in road mishaps.
"If there is a good motorcycle, a good mobile and a good girlfriend then accidents are bound to happen," the chief minister said.
He said nearly 55 to 60 per cent road accident victims are youth. "It`s a common sight to see youngsters driving two-wheelers while talking on cellphones which often leads to accidents. Youths should avoid such habits," Singh said.
He lamented that while people are ready to spend thousands of rupees to buy motorcycles but are reluctant to purchase helmets which cost just a few hundred rupees.
Opposition Congress was quick to condemn Singh`s remarks
terming them as a ploy to divert attention from government`s failure to curb road accidents.
Leader of Opposition in Assembly Ravindra Chaube said bad
roads and corruption in transport department are main reasons for fatalities on road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das