Govt ignoring security of Karma`s kin: Congress
Raipur: The Congress on Sunday alleged that the BJP government in Chhattisgarh was being negligent about providing security to the family members of slain Congress leader Mahendra Karma, whom Maoists have threatened to kill unless they leave their native place.
"Karma was killed by Naxals despite having Z-plus security. Now, they have threatened to kill his family members.
"Ironically, the government is watching all this as a silent spectator," said Congress spokesperson Shailesh Nitin Trivedi.
Karma was killed when heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy carrying Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district on May 25.
Twenty-eight persons, including Pradesh Congress Committee chief Nand Kumar Patel, were killed in the attack, in which 36 others were injured, including senior leader Vidyacharan Shukla.
The Chhattisgarh government had announced Z-plus security for Karma`s family members after the attack. However, the Congress spokesperson said that the safety of the slain leader`s family members remained a concern.
"Naxals have even warned the villagers of Faraspal (Karma`s native place) not to take part in any of the rituals (that follow) the funeral," Trivedi added.
"It is the responsibility of the state government to provide full security to Karma`s family members, (and) to the villagers of Faraspal as well," Trivedi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali