Govt ignoring security of Karma`s kin: Congress
Raipur: The Congress on Sunday alleged that the BJP government in Chhattisgarh was being negligent about providing security to the family members of slain Congress leader Mahendra Karma, whom Maoists have threatened to kill unless they leave their native place.
"Karma was killed by Naxals despite having Z-plus security. Now, they have threatened to kill his family members.
"Ironically, the government is watching all this as a silent spectator," said Congress spokesperson Shailesh Nitin Trivedi.
Karma was killed when heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy carrying Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district on May 25.
Twenty-eight persons, including Pradesh Congress Committee chief Nand Kumar Patel, were killed in the attack, in which 36 others were injured, including senior leader Vidyacharan Shukla.
The Chhattisgarh government had announced Z-plus security for Karma`s family members after the attack. However, the Congress spokesperson said that the safety of the slain leader`s family members remained a concern.
"Naxals have even warned the villagers of Faraspal (Karma`s native place) not to take part in any of the rituals (that follow) the funeral," Trivedi added.
"It is the responsibility of the state government to provide full security to Karma`s family members, (and) to the villagers of Faraspal as well," Trivedi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America