Govt to give Rs 9 lakh each to Chhattisgarh encounter victims
New Delhi: The kin of eight villagers, who were killed in last week`s encounter between the security forces and Maoists in Chhattisgarh, will be given Rs 9 lakh each as compensation.
The Home Ministry has decided to give the families of each of the eight victims, including three minors, Rs 3 lakh from its discretionary fund, Rs 3 lakh from the fund of victims of terrorist violence and Rs one lakh from the Security Related Expenditure, official sources said.
Rs 2 lakh will also be given as compensation to each of the victims` families by the Chhattisgarh government.
The CRPF, which was involved in the gunfight, has already ordered an inquiry into the Bijapur (Chhattisgarh) incidents after allegations that the encounter was fake and aimed at targeting innocent villagers.
A Commission headed by Justice VK Agrawal, which is currently probing a similar encounter that occurred at Sarkeguda in the same district on June 28-29 last year, will probe this incident too.
The eight villagers and a CoBRA commando were killed in the gunfight between security forces and the ultras near Edasmeta village in southern Chhattisgarh on the intervening night of May 17-18.
CRPF had already put in place additional precautionary measures after the Sarkeguda encounter last year but the allegations of this being a fake encountered have come to the fore again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened