GPS technology to be used to curb illegal mining
Raipur: Chhattisgarh will be using Global
Positioning System (GPS) to curb illegal mining in the state,
official sources said on Friday.
Chief Minister Raman Singh has asked officials to use
GPS and other modern technologies to track and stop illegal
mining, they said.
GPS is a space-based navigation satellite system that
provides location and time information in all weather. GPS
satellites are used for navigational, surveying, mapping,
routing, charting and time distribution purposes.
Singh has said that mineral-rich Chhattisgarh should
emerge as a model state in curbing the menace by deploying
sophisticated equipment, the sources maintained.
The state has been posting higher revenues from mining
activities over the years, they said.
In 2003-04, Chhattisgarh earned Rs 637 crore in mining
revenues, which shot up to Rs 2461.46 crore in 2010-11. The
state has set a revenue target of Rs 2,700 crore in the
current financial year, the sources said.
To curb illegal mining, which causes huge losses to
the exchequer, 45 posts have been set up in different parts of
the state to keep an eye on excavation and transportation of
ores, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city