GPS technology to be used to curb illegal mining
Raipur: Chhattisgarh will be using Global
Positioning System (GPS) to curb illegal mining in the state,
official sources said on Friday.
Chief Minister Raman Singh has asked officials to use
GPS and other modern technologies to track and stop illegal
mining, they said.
GPS is a space-based navigation satellite system that
provides location and time information in all weather. GPS
satellites are used for navigational, surveying, mapping,
routing, charting and time distribution purposes.
Singh has said that mineral-rich Chhattisgarh should
emerge as a model state in curbing the menace by deploying
sophisticated equipment, the sources maintained.
The state has been posting higher revenues from mining
activities over the years, they said.
In 2003-04, Chhattisgarh earned Rs 637 crore in mining
revenues, which shot up to Rs 2461.46 crore in 2010-11. The
state has set a revenue target of Rs 2,700 crore in the
current financial year, the sources said.
To curb illegal mining, which causes huge losses to
the exchequer, 45 posts have been set up in different parts of
the state to keep an eye on excavation and transportation of
ores, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'