`Greyhounds` jawan killed in gunfight with Naxals
Raipur: A jawan of Andhra Pradesh`s anti- Naxal force `Greyhounds` was killed in an encounter with Maoists in the jungles of Chhattisgarh`s Bjiapur district on Thursday, a senior police official said.
The jawan, whose identity was not disclosed, was part of the commando squad which on Tuesday conducted an anti- Maoist operation in Chhattisgarh`s Sukma district, where ten Naxals were gunned down.
"We have got information about the death of a Greyhounds force jawan in forests under Pamed police station area of Bjiapur district in an exchange of gun fire with ultras," Director General of Police (DGP) Ramniwas told PTI.
Security forces were rushed to the spot to recover the body, he said.
According to a senior official of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), around five jawans of the squad were left behind in the jungles after the operation.
When they were coming out of the forest, ultras opened fire on the jawans, who retaliated. In the ensuing gunbattle, one of the personnel was killed, while the others came out safely, the DGP said.
Personnel of Greyhounds, CRPF and Chhattisgarh Police launched a joint offensive against rebels on April 16 in Puarti village of Sukma district and killed 10 ultras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray