HC to decide on Binayak Sen’s bail plea today
Bilaspur: The Chhattisgarh High Court will on Wednesday hear the bail plea of human rights activist and physician Dr Binayak Sen, who has been sentenced to life imprisonment for supporting Maoist rebels.
On January 25, the Chhattisgarh High Court adjourned the hearing in this case and posted the matter for today.
Sen`s lawyer has argued before the court that till date the authorities have failed to produce any evidence or document from his client, which is enough to charge him with sedition.
Meanwhile, several prominent artists have appealed to Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh seeking urgent release of Dr Sen.
Several leading artists, including Naseerudin Shah, Sharmila Tagore, Aparna Sen, Mahesh Bhatt and Rahul Bose, have moved Singh, seeking Sen’s release, according to reports.
Their move comes in contrast to the appeal by the wife of a policeman, who had fallen to Maoist attack.
Ranjana, wife of slain Rajnandgaon Superintendent of Police Vinod Kumar Choubey has filed a petition before the Chattisgarh High Court seeking denial of bail to Sen.
She has contended that if Sen and the co-accused were released, it would lead to more attacks like the one in which her husband was killed.
Sen, who was sentenced by a sessions court in Raipur on Dec 24, has moved the Chhattisgarh High Court against the life sentence.
An eight-member European Council team of observers is also watching the proceedings.
Sen, who was arrested in May 2007 from Bilaspur, was detained for two years, and released on bail in May 2009.
In 2008, he was awarded the Jonathan Mann Award for Global Health and Human Rights by the Global Health Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3