HC to decide on Binayak Sen’s bail plea today
Bilaspur: The Chhattisgarh High Court will on Wednesday hear the bail plea of human rights activist and physician Dr Binayak Sen, who has been sentenced to life imprisonment for supporting Maoist rebels.
On January 25, the Chhattisgarh High Court adjourned the hearing in this case and posted the matter for today.
Sen`s lawyer has argued before the court that till date the authorities have failed to produce any evidence or document from his client, which is enough to charge him with sedition.
Meanwhile, several prominent artists have appealed to Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh seeking urgent release of Dr Sen.
Several leading artists, including Naseerudin Shah, Sharmila Tagore, Aparna Sen, Mahesh Bhatt and Rahul Bose, have moved Singh, seeking Sen’s release, according to reports.
Their move comes in contrast to the appeal by the wife of a policeman, who had fallen to Maoist attack.
Ranjana, wife of slain Rajnandgaon Superintendent of Police Vinod Kumar Choubey has filed a petition before the Chattisgarh High Court seeking denial of bail to Sen.
She has contended that if Sen and the co-accused were released, it would lead to more attacks like the one in which her husband was killed.
Sen, who was sentenced by a sessions court in Raipur on Dec 24, has moved the Chhattisgarh High Court against the life sentence.
An eight-member European Council team of observers is also watching the proceedings.
Sen, who was arrested in May 2007 from Bilaspur, was detained for two years, and released on bail in May 2009.
In 2008, he was awarded the Jonathan Mann Award for Global Health and Human Rights by the Global Health Council.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!