HC to decide on Binayak Sen’s bail plea today
Bilaspur: The Chhattisgarh High Court will on Wednesday hear the bail plea of human rights activist and physician Dr Binayak Sen, who has been sentenced to life imprisonment for supporting Maoist rebels.
On January 25, the Chhattisgarh High Court adjourned the hearing in this case and posted the matter for today.
Sen`s lawyer has argued before the court that till date the authorities have failed to produce any evidence or document from his client, which is enough to charge him with sedition.
Meanwhile, several prominent artists have appealed to Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh seeking urgent release of Dr Sen.
Several leading artists, including Naseerudin Shah, Sharmila Tagore, Aparna Sen, Mahesh Bhatt and Rahul Bose, have moved Singh, seeking Sen’s release, according to reports.
Their move comes in contrast to the appeal by the wife of a policeman, who had fallen to Maoist attack.
Ranjana, wife of slain Rajnandgaon Superintendent of Police Vinod Kumar Choubey has filed a petition before the Chattisgarh High Court seeking denial of bail to Sen.
She has contended that if Sen and the co-accused were released, it would lead to more attacks like the one in which her husband was killed.
Sen, who was sentenced by a sessions court in Raipur on Dec 24, has moved the Chhattisgarh High Court against the life sentence.
An eight-member European Council team of observers is also watching the proceedings.
Sen, who was arrested in May 2007 from Bilaspur, was detained for two years, and released on bail in May 2009.
In 2008, he was awarded the Jonathan Mann Award for Global Health and Human Rights by the Global Health Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'