Helpline soon for women facing violence in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: In a bid to provide protection to women facing violence, a first-of-its-kind integrated helpline-cum-crisis centre is soon to be launched in Chhattisgarh.
A 24X7 women`s helpline, number-181, will soon be opened in the state which aims to provide aid for post-violence trauma as also protection to women from any form of violence.
As per the guidelines of the Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD), the state government is taking up the initiative for which, initially, nodal agencies will be established at Raipur and Durg in collaboration with NGOs, state WCD Department Secretary, Subrat Sahu, told a news agency.
"The trial of the system has already been started and it will be officially launched in a month or two," Sahu said, adding that enough publicity will be done to make people aware about it.
It is primarily designed to assist women facing any sort of crisis, including rape, molestation, trafficking, abuse and allegations of practising witchcraft, within their family, in society or at the workplace.
The helpline will also provide efficient and fast-response mechanisms for addressing post-violence trauma and to ensure protection of women from any form of violence.
That would be followed by rehabilitation through short and long-term physical and psychological treatment, including skill development, as per the guidelines from the WCD department.
The nodal agencies at Raipur and Durg will handle the calls from across the state and directly look after cases within a 50-km radius.
For cases beyond that ambit, they will pass on necessary instructions to police stations and other agencies at the relevant location, the guidelines added.
The other provisions under the facility include setting up of short-term shelter homes in Raipur and Bhilai-Durg (if required), residential transit care centres for treatment of 50 mentally-ill women at one time in Raipur and rehabilitative /residential transit care homes with facilities for vocational or skill development training for victims of violence.
As of now, a women`s helpline, number-1091, is operational under police management.
As per state police records, 1,137 rape cases were reported between 2013 and January 15 this year in Chhattisgarh. The number for previous years was: 1,145 in 2012-13, 1,076 in 2011-12 and 1,128 in 2010-11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city