Helpline soon for women facing violence in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: In a bid to provide protection to women facing violence, a first-of-its-kind integrated helpline -cum-crisis centre is soon to be launched in Chhattisgarh.
A 24X7 women`s helpline, number-181, will soon be opened in the state which aims to provide aid for post-violence trauma as also protection to women from any form of violence.
As per the guidelines of the Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD), the state government is taking up the initiative for which, initially, nodal agencies will be established at Raipur and Durg in collaboration with NGOs, state WCD Department Secretary, Subrat Sahu, told PTI.
"The trial of the system has already been started and it will be officially launched in a month or two," Sahu said, adding that enough publicity will be done to make people aware about it.
It is primarily designed to assist women facing any sort of crisis, including rape, molestation, trafficking, abuse and allegations of practising witchcraft, within their family, in society or at the workplace.
The helpline will also provide efficient and fast-response mechanisms for addressing post-violence trauma and to ensure protection of women from any form of violence.
That would be followed by rehabilitation through short and long-term physical and psychological treatment, including skill development, as per the guidelines from the WCD department.
The nodal agencies at Raipur and Durg will handle the calls from across the state and directly look after cases within a 50-km radius.
For cases beyond that ambit, they will pass on necessary instructions to police stations and other agencies at the relevant location, the guidelines added.
The other provisions under the facility include setting up of short-term shelter homes in Raipur and Bhilai-Durg (if required), residential transit care centres for treatment of 50 mentally-ill women at one time in Raipur and rehabilitative /residential transit care homes with facilities for vocational or skill development training for victims of violence.
As of now, a women`s helpline, number-1091, is operational under police management.
As per state police records, 1,137 rape cases were reported between 2013 and January 15 this year in Chhattisgarh. The number for previous years was: 1,145 in 2012-13, 1,076 in 2011-12 and 1,128 in 2010-11.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!