Human trafficker held in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A Chhattisgarh man, alleged to be involved in human trafficking, has been arrested with 14 tribal girls and six others from the state`s poverty hit Jashpur district, police said Friday.
Mrinal Nayak, 26, was arrested Thursday night from the tribal-dominated Kunkuri area, about 400 km north of Raipur.
"We had been tracking a youth for several weeks for his active involvement in a human trafficking racket and finally arrested him from a bus stand at Kunkuri when he was taking away 20 local persons, mostly minors, including 14 girls," police officer R. Kaushik told IANS over phone.
"It is a clear case of human trafficking but police need more strong evidence to ensure his conviction in court," he said, adding that the youth belonged to Orissa.
Over the last decade, there have been several cases of human trafficking in Chhattisgarh`s northern regions of Surguja, Korba, Jashpur, Koria and Raigarh. Traffickers lure impoverished tribal girls by promising them jobs in big cities but force them into prostitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’