Human trafficker held in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A Chhattisgarh man, alleged to be involved in human trafficking, has been arrested with 14 tribal girls and six others from the state`s poverty hit Jashpur district, police said Friday.
Mrinal Nayak, 26, was arrested Thursday night from the tribal-dominated Kunkuri area, about 400 km north of Raipur.
"We had been tracking a youth for several weeks for his active involvement in a human trafficking racket and finally arrested him from a bus stand at Kunkuri when he was taking away 20 local persons, mostly minors, including 14 girls," police officer R. Kaushik told IANS over phone.
"It is a clear case of human trafficking but police need more strong evidence to ensure his conviction in court," he said, adding that the youth belonged to Orissa.
Over the last decade, there have been several cases of human trafficking in Chhattisgarh`s northern regions of Surguja, Korba, Jashpur, Koria and Raigarh. Traffickers lure impoverished tribal girls by promising them jobs in big cities but force them into prostitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?