IAF chopper attacked by Maoists in Chhattisgarh, crew safe
Raipur: An Indian Air Force helicopter had to make an emergency landing at a forested location in Chhattisgarh Friday evening after Maoist rebels opened fire on it, police said.
The crew, one of whom was injured, safely reached a nearby paramilitary camp. Officers at the police headquarters here said that Mi-17 chopper, which took off from Jagdalpur town to Sukma district to airlift some troopers seriously injured in a gunfight with Maoists, went missing after rebels attacked it.
"Rebels opened fire on IAF helicopter when it tried to land in a conflict zone in Sukma district to airlift policemen who had received multiple gun shots in an encounter," Chhattisgarh`s director general of police Ramniwas said.
The pilot was forced to leave amid the intense firing and for some time, the helicopter went off radar but finally managed to make an emergency landing at a jungle area in Sukma district`s Chintalnar.
Officials in Sukma said all the seven people on board safely reached a nearby Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF). According to reports, the helicopter`s wireless operator was injured in the firing but his condition was stated to be out of danger.
A policeman was killed and several others were wounded in a lengthy gun battle with Maoists at Pollampalli, some 500 km south from Raipur.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents