IAF chopper flown back to Jagdalpur after repairs
Raipur: The Indian Air Force helicopter, which was attacked by Maoists in Chhattisgarh`s Sukma district while it was on a casualty evacuation mission, was flown back to Jagdalpur on Tuesday, police said.
"After completing the temporary repairing task of IAF helicopter Mi-17 (which was attacked by Maoists in Sukma district), it was flown back to Jagdalpur in the evening," Inspector General of Police (Bastar Range) Himanshu Gupta told PTI.
The chopper reached district headquarters of Jagdalpur at around 5:45 PM, he said, adding that about a dozen IAF engineers took about three days to make the helicopter fit for flying.
As a precautionary measure, security was heightened in nearly 11 helipad of the region in case of emergency landing, he said.
On January 18, Maoists had attacked on a Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF) patrol during a road-opening task in the forests of Temelwada village under the Chintagufa police station limits of Sukma district, in which head constable Baisuram Mandavi was killed and platoon commander Nandkishore Bhadoriya was injured.
Later an IAF helicopter Mi-17 was sent on a casualty evacuation mission to retrieve them from Temelwada village.
When the chopper was landing to pick up the injured, Maoists fired at it and injured radio operator Yem Lal Sahu who was onboard.
After the attack, the chopper had to make a forced landing in the forests of the Chitagufa police station area, where the CRPF cordoned it off and rushed reinforcements to the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark