IAF orders probe into Naxal attack on helicopter
New Delhi: The Indian Air Force has ordered a probe into Saturday’s incident in which its helicopter came under attack by suspected Naxalites in the interiors of Chhattisgarh`s Sukma district.
One CRPF personnel was injured and the helicopter was damaged in the firing.
A team of technicians has been sent by the IAF to the spot to get back the Mi-17 chopper, which suffered 15 hits in the firing and suffered "extensive damage" in its hydraulic oil and fuel tank, an IAF spokesperson said.
The chopper was attacked after it took off from Jagdalpur to rescue two CRPF personnel and was forced to land in general area of Chintal Gufa and Temalwada in Dantewada district.
On reports that IAF personnel from its security force Garud had left behind the chopper and the injured CRPF personal unguarded, the spokesperson said the injured jawan was immobile due to his injuries and the security team took a decision in the interest of the security of the chopper and the crew.
The IAF in a release issued late in the evening said, "An enquiry has been ordered into the incident."
The force claimed that after landing, the "complete crew then assessed the threat situation and condition of the injured CRPF jawan and decided to seek immediate medical help for him and also to secure the helicopter."
It said after the crew reached the CRPF Camp at Chintalgufa, it informed them of the exact location which was then communicated to the search party (CRPF Cobra Team) helping them reach the location.
The CRPF Cobra Team thereafter reached the spot and secured the helicopter.
The IAF has maintained that the trooper injured in the attack on its aircraft belonged to the CRPF but yesterday Chhattisgarh Police Chief Ramniwas had said that the injured person belonged to the state armed police force CAF.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside
- Battles in Libya's Sirte kill 34 fighters, injure over 180
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan