Illegal explosives factory busted in Janjgir-Champa
Raipur: The police on Wednesday busted an illegal explosive factory in Janjgir-Champa district of Chhattisgarh and recovered a huge cache including fuse wires, sulphur powder and ammonium nitrate.
The police suspect that explosives were being supplied to ultras in Maoist-affected Rajnandgaon district.
"Acting on a tip-off, a police party raided a plant owned by Rashid Ahmed Khan, located on the Champa-Korba road in Champa, where they seized 25 quintals of fuse wire, 70 kg of ammonium nitrate, around 100 quintals of sulphur powder and six drums of aluminium, used in manufacturing explosives," Superintendent of Police (SP) Shaikh Arif Hussain said.
"We had information that explosives were being supplied to Rajnandgaon and neighbouring states and we cannot rule out the possibility of a Maoist connection," he said.
Rashid Ahmed`s son, Firoz Ahmed (55) too has been arrested in this connection, he said, adding that efforts are on to trace Rashid and several others allegedly involved with the manufacturing unit.
Allegedly, Rashid holds a license for storing upto 15 kilograms of explosives, but he illegally ran a manufacturing unit, he said.
The arrested is being questioned and further investigation is on, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- 120 Taliban, ISIS militants killed in wide-scale operations by Afghan army, cops
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series