India mulls using UAVs against Maoists
Raipur: Authorities in Chhattisgarh are keen to use unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in Maoist-dominated pockets in the wake of the massacre of 75 security personnel, official sources said.
"A report of the successful night trial of the US-made UAV in Bastar forests this week is to be sent to the central government with a request to allow security forces to use the UAV facility," a police source here told a news agency.
According to officials, a UAV weighing 10 kg was tested in jungle areas near the Counter Terrorism and Jungle Warfare College in Kanker district, some 150 km south of here.
Kanker and four other districts form the Bastar region, spread over 40,000 sq km.
"The trial for UAV was intended to evaluate its efficacy in providing real-time intelligence and detection capability during low illumination and at night in thickly forested stretches," the police source said.
"It is up to the central government to take a decision on whether security men in the jungle terrain should be equipped with UAV facility."
Seventy-five Central Reserve Police Force personnel and a Chhattisgarh policeman were killed by Maoists in the forests of Dantewada district in Bastar region April 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan