Innocent tribals killed in encounter, claim left parties
New Delhi: CPI and CPI-ML on Saturday demanded a judicial probe into the killing of Maoists in a joint operation by police and CRPF personnel in the dense forests of Chhattisgarh, claiming they were "innocent tribals".
"One or two Naxalites might have been there. The killing of innocent tribals will generate more anger and hatred towards police and security forces," CPI General Secretary S Sudhakar Reddy said in a statement here.
Ten of those killed are in the age group of 15 to 28 years, including a 15-year-old girl, he said.
"The CPI demands a judicial enquiry by a sitting High Court judge," Reddy said and added that it will send a fact- finding delegation to "the places of massacres at the earliest".
Terming it as a "state sponsored massacre of civilians", CPI (ML) said, "Any attempt to dress up a heinous massacre of civilians as an encounter must be prevented."
"A judicial enquiry must be ordered into the killing without delay, and the police and CRPF personnel responsible for the incident must be booked for murder and brought to trial," it said in a statement.
At least 20 Naxalites, including a woman, were killed in a fierce overnight gunfight in the dense jungles of Dantewada in Chhattisgarh that also left six jawans wounded.
The encounter, which took place in the forests of Silger, an uncharted Maoist zone between the Naxal hotbed of Jagargunda and Basaguda in Bijapur district of Bastar region, was launched on Wednesday night in a joint operation by over 300 CRPF and state police personnel from three directions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!