Innocent tribals killed in encounter, claim left parties
New Delhi: CPI and CPI-ML on Saturday demanded a judicial probe into the killing of Maoists in a joint operation by police and CRPF personnel in the dense forests of Chhattisgarh, claiming they were "innocent tribals".
"One or two Naxalites might have been there. The killing of innocent tribals will generate more anger and hatred towards police and security forces," CPI General Secretary S Sudhakar Reddy said in a statement here.
Ten of those killed are in the age group of 15 to 28 years, including a 15-year-old girl, he said.
"The CPI demands a judicial enquiry by a sitting High Court judge," Reddy said and added that it will send a fact- finding delegation to "the places of massacres at the earliest".
Terming it as a "state sponsored massacre of civilians", CPI (ML) said, "Any attempt to dress up a heinous massacre of civilians as an encounter must be prevented."
"A judicial enquiry must be ordered into the killing without delay, and the police and CRPF personnel responsible for the incident must be booked for murder and brought to trial," it said in a statement.
At least 20 Naxalites, including a woman, were killed in a fierce overnight gunfight in the dense jungles of Dantewada in Chhattisgarh that also left six jawans wounded.
The encounter, which took place in the forests of Silger, an uncharted Maoist zone between the Naxal hotbed of Jagargunda and Basaguda in Bijapur district of Bastar region, was launched on Wednesday night in a joint operation by over 300 CRPF and state police personnel from three directions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez