Korba chimney collapse: Mahant seeks Raman Singh`s resignation
Korba: Holding the ruling BJP government responsible for the 2009 chimney collapse incident at a BALCO plant in Chhattisgarh in which 40 people were killed, Union minister Charandas Mahant on Monday demanded resignation of chief minister Raman Singh.
"A judicial commission had indicted the then officials of Korba district, municipal corporation, Town and Country Planning department and Labour department for negligence and complacency", claimed Mahant who is the minister of state for Agriculture and Food Processing.
40 people had been crushed to death and several others injured when an under-construction chimney at BALCO`s upcoming power plant caved in on September 23, 2009.
Notably, the Sandip Bakhshi judicial commission, set up to probe the mishap, had indicted BALCO, Chinese firm Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation (SEPCO), Indian firm Gannon Dunkerley and Company Limited (GDCL) and the government agencies for negligence in its report.
The construction was being carried out by Gannon Dunkerley & Company Limited (GDCL) for Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation (Sepco) on contract for the Bharat Aluminium Co Ltd (BALCO).
"Stringent action be taken against the then officials of the concerned department....Being the head of the state government, the chief minister should take responsibility of the mishap and resign from his post", Mahant demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- No blanket ban on pellet guns in Kashmir Valley, to be used in 'rarest of rare cases'
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4