Magisterial probe begins in encounter of Naxal couple
Raipur: A magisterial inquiry has begun into the alleged killing of a Naxal couple by a police team in a retaliatory firing last year in Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh, a government official said on Thursday.
Sonu Netam (21) and his wife Kamla Markam (19) were allegedly shot dead near Chameda village on Odisha-Chhattisagrh border by a police team in a retaliatory firing on July 17 last year.
"Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Nagri tehsil has begun probe into the killing of naxals Sonu Netam and Kamla Markam in an encounter dated around seven months back in the Chameda village of the district," the official told a news agency on condition of anonymity.
"In an advertisement released in the newspapers, the investigating officer has asked if any person or institution wishes to file claims or objections or wanted to share some information in this connection, he/they can appear before SDM court on March 08," the official added.
According to police, Sonu and Kamla had surrendered to Dhamtari police on June 8 last year and were living in a room adjacent to Sihawa police station in the district.
On the night of July 05, the couple decamped with one INSAS rifle, three SLRs and 90 cartridges from the police station following which the teams of STF and CRPF troopers fanned out on their trail.
Four police constables of Sihawa station were suspended for dereliction of duty.
On July 17, the search party got a tip-off about their presence in Chameda village near the inter-state border.
When the security team reached there, the duo opened fire at them and later the ultras killed them in retaliatory firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- DNA: Today in History | 25th August, 2016
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Ronaldo beats Bale, Griezmann to win second UEFA Best Player in Europe Award
- After tribal's walk with wife's body, Odisha launches hearse scheme
- PM Modi pips Amitabh Bachchan, becomes most followed Indian on Twitter
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG