Magisterial probe begins in encounter of Naxal couple
Raipur: A magisterial inquiry has begun into the alleged killing of a Naxal couple by a police team in a retaliatory firing last year in Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh, a government official said on Thursday.
Sonu Netam (21) and his wife Kamla Markam (19) were allegedly shot dead near Chameda village on Odisha-Chhattisagrh border by a police team in a retaliatory firing on July 17 last year.
"Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Nagri tehsil has begun probe into the killing of naxals Sonu Netam and Kamla Markam in an encounter dated around seven months back in the Chameda village of the district," the official told a news agency on condition of anonymity.
"In an advertisement released in the newspapers, the investigating officer has asked if any person or institution wishes to file claims or objections or wanted to share some information in this connection, he/they can appear before SDM court on March 08," the official added.
According to police, Sonu and Kamla had surrendered to Dhamtari police on June 8 last year and were living in a room adjacent to Sihawa police station in the district.
On the night of July 05, the couple decamped with one INSAS rifle, three SLRs and 90 cartridges from the police station following which the teams of STF and CRPF troopers fanned out on their trail.
Four police constables of Sihawa station were suspended for dereliction of duty.
On July 17, the search party got a tip-off about their presence in Chameda village near the inter-state border.
When the security team reached there, the duo opened fire at them and later the ultras killed them in retaliatory firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi