Magisterial probe begins in encounter of naxal couple
Raipur: A magisterial inquiry has begun into the alleged killing of a naxal couple by a police team in a retaliatory firing last year in Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh, a government official said on Thursday.
Sonu Netam (21) and his wife Kamla Markam (19) were allegedly shot dead near Chameda village on Odisha-Chhattisgarh border by a police team in a retaliatory firing on July 17 last year.
"Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Nagri tehsil has begun probe into the killing of naxals Sonu Netam and Kamla Markam in an encounter dated around seven months back in the Chameda village of the district," the official told PTI on condition of anonymity.
"In an advertisement released in the newspapers, the investigating officer has asked if any person or institution wishes to file claims or objections or wanted to share some information in this connection, he/they can appear before SDM court on March 8," the official added.
According to police, Sonu and Kamla had surrendered to Dhamtari police on June 8 last year and were living in a room adjacent to Sihawa police station in the district.
On the night of July 5, the couple decamped with one INSAS rifle, three SLRs and 90 cartridges from the police station following which the teams of STF and CRPF troopers fanned out on their trail.
Four police constables of Sihawa station were suspended for dereliction of duty.
On July 17, the search party got a tip-off about their presence in Chameda village near the inter-state border.
When the security team reached there, the duo opened fire at them and later the ultras killed them in retaliatory firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city