Mahendra Karma had only 6 guards with him when Naxals attacked
New Delhi: Mahendra Karma, former Chhattisgarh Home Minister, slain by Naxals along with 26 others, had Z-plus security with 16 armed guards but was accompanied by only six guards when he was attacked.
Sources said when the Naxals attacked the convoy of Congress leaders on May 25, Karma, PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel and others did not have adequate security, exposing themselves badly before Maoists attack.
Karma, who was on the hit list of Maoists for long, was given Z-plus security by Chhattisgarh government. But on Saturday, when the Congress leaders were attacked, the tribal politician was accompanied by only six guards who were carrying only light weapons, sources said.
Preliminary reports suggested the extremists could target the Congress leaders as security was completely lax for the Congress rally when it had entered Jagdalpur district unlike Sukma district where adequate security was provided to the political programme.
Sources said suspended Bastar SP Mayak Shrivastav had failed to give clear instructions for security of the `Congress Yatra` when it was passing through the troubled district resulting in the attack.
There was no specific information that the Congress leaders would be targeted by Maoists and everyone in the security establishment was surprised over Naxals attacking a political rally, said the sources.
They said both Central and Chhattisgarh governments have resolved to hit back at the Naxals in a big way in the coming days and instructed security agencies that adequate protection should be given to all political parties, their programmes and the leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note