Mahendra Karma had only 6 guards with him when Naxals attacked
New Delhi: Mahendra Karma, former Chhattisgarh Home Minister, slain by Naxals along with 26 others, had Z-plus security with 16 armed guards but was accompanied by only six guards when he was attacked.
Sources said when the Naxals attacked the convoy of Congress leaders on May 25, Karma, PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel and others did not have adequate security, exposing themselves badly before Maoists attack.
Karma, who was on the hit list of Maoists for long, was given Z-plus security by Chhattisgarh government. But on Saturday, when the Congress leaders were attacked, the tribal politician was accompanied by only six guards who were carrying only light weapons, sources said.
Preliminary reports suggested the extremists could target the Congress leaders as security was completely lax for the Congress rally when it had entered Jagdalpur district unlike Sukma district where adequate security was provided to the political programme.
Sources said suspended Bastar SP Mayak Shrivastav had failed to give clear instructions for security of the `Congress Yatra` when it was passing through the troubled district resulting in the attack.
There was no specific information that the Congress leaders would be targeted by Maoists and everyone in the security establishment was surprised over Naxals attacking a political rally, said the sources.
They said both Central and Chhattisgarh governments have resolved to hit back at the Naxals in a big way in the coming days and instructed security agencies that adequate protection should be given to all political parties, their programmes and the leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?