Maoist-called shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Normal life in the vast forested interiors of insurgency-hit Chhattisgarh was hit as vehicles went off the roads and people remained indoors in fear as the Maoist-called two-day shutdown began on Sunday to protest the killing of their top leader Kishenji.
There is an uneasy calm in the state`s sprawling 40,000 sq km mineral-rich Bastar region besides certain jungle areas of Raipur, Mahasamund and Rajnandgaon districts where residents fear violence during the shutdown despite heightened security, a police officer said.
The outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) has called for a two-day Bharat Bandh Dec 4-5 to protest the killing of its top leader Malojula Koteswara Rao alias Kishenji in West Bengal recently.
"It`s sure Maoists will strive for casualties during the shutdown period. We have further strengthened police presence in areas vulnerable to attacks besides government establishments in Bastar region," said Additional Director General of Police Ram Niwas.
He said patrolling along rail tracks in Dantewada had been intensified as Maoists routinely target the tracks during strikes to halt iron ore supply by public sector major NMDC Ltd from its mining bases in Dantewada to Andhra Pradesh port city Visakhapatnam.
Reports say that East Coast Railway has cancelled goods train in Dantewada district in Bailadila sector as a precautionary measure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city