Maoist couple surrenders in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A Maoist couple, carrying a reward of Rs 3 lakh, surrendered in Chhattisgarh`s insurgency-hit Kondagaon district on Monday.
`Commander` of military company number 6 of the outlawed CPI (Maoist) Sampat alias Sutte (38) and his wife Aasmati Netam (22) told police that they were "frustrated with the high-handedness of senior leaders", particularly the ones from Andhra Pradesh, and their exploitation of lower-rank cadres, Inspector General of Police SRP Kalluri said.
Sampat, native of Kondagaon, was associated with Maoists since 1995 and was involved in around 20 major attacks in Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Odisha, and Andhra Pradesh, Kalluri said.
He accompanied top Maoist leaders including General Secretary Ganpati and central committee members Sonu alias Bhupati, Kosa, Ramanna and others during several Maoist operations, police said. Sampat was carrying a reward of Rs 2 lakh on his head.
His wife Aasmati joined the movement in 2008. She was known as `doctor` as she treated injured or ill cadres. She was carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh on her head, Kalluri said.
Both handed over to the police a 9 mm carbine gun, four rounds, and a country-made pistol.
According to their statements, senior Maoists from Andhra Pradesh extorted money from contractors in the name of the movement and that cadres from Chhattisgarh were forced to undergo sterilisation.
Both will be rehabilitated as per the government policy, the IG said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31