Maoist couple surrenders in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A Maoist couple, carrying a reward of Rs 3 lakh, surrendered in Chhattisgarh`s insurgency-hit Kondagaon district on Monday.
`Commander` of military company number 6 of the outlawed CPI (Maoist) Sampat alias Sutte (38) and his wife Aasmati Netam (22) told police that they were "frustrated with the high-handedness of senior leaders", particularly the ones from Andhra Pradesh, and their exploitation of lower-rank cadres, Inspector General of Police SRP Kalluri said.
Sampat, native of Kondagaon, was associated with Maoists since 1995 and was involved in around 20 major attacks in Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Odisha, and Andhra Pradesh, Kalluri said.
He accompanied top Maoist leaders including General Secretary Ganpati and central committee members Sonu alias Bhupati, Kosa, Ramanna and others during several Maoist operations, police said. Sampat was carrying a reward of Rs 2 lakh on his head.
His wife Aasmati joined the movement in 2008. She was known as `doctor` as she treated injured or ill cadres. She was carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh on her head, Kalluri said.
Both handed over to the police a 9 mm carbine gun, four rounds, and a country-made pistol.
According to their statements, senior Maoists from Andhra Pradesh extorted money from contractors in the name of the movement and that cadres from Chhattisgarh were forced to undergo sterilisation.
Both will be rehabilitated as per the government policy, the IG said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Good news! Dimpy Ganguly welcomes baby Reanna with blizzards of kisses and hugs - See pic
- Harmanpreet Kaur Bhullar becomes first India Women's cricketer to be signed by overseas T20 team
- Indian politicians funded Hillary Clinton for Indo-US civil nuclear deal: Donald Trump
- In two years Tripura-Assam border with Bangladesh to be totally sealed: Secretary BM
- PM Modi to launch Smart City projects in Pune today