Maoist held from forest during police search operation in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A Maoist, carrying a reward on his head, was arrested during a search operation in Maoist-hit Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh, the police said here on Friday.
The Maoist was nabbed from the forests of Bardela village under Jangla police station limits last evening, a senior official said.
A local police team on a combing operation in Jangla area, located around 450 kms away from state capital Raipur, reached the Bardela forest when they spotted a suspect fleeing, after which he was chased and arrested, the official said.
The arrested Maoist was identified as Lekam Aaytu (35), self styled vice-chief of Jantana Sarkar Maoist organisation in Tungali area, he said.
He was allegedly involved in several incidents of arson, attempt to murder and other offences, he said, adding he carried a reward of Rs 10,000 on his head.
The arrested Maoist is being interrogated, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir