Maoist leader Paparao has quit, claims police
Raipur: In what could be a major blow to Maoists, top leader Paparao who allegedly masterminded the Tadmetla massacre that claimed the lives of 75 CRPF jawans has quit the movement, according to police.
"We have received inputs that Maoist leader Paparao has left the movement and run away from Jagargunda area of Bijapur district with his wife," Bijapur SP Prashant Agrawal told PTI.
He, however, denied having any clue about Paparao`s whereabouts.
Paparao was the commander of the Southern Bastar Divisional Committee of the outlawed CPI (Maoist).
"There is also information about other Maoist leaders who left the movement and ran away along with their wives or women cadres during the last few months in the Bastar region," Agarwal said.
However, the official did not cite any specific reason behind Maoists quitting the insurgency movement.
Paparao who was active in the Basaguda and Jagargunda areas of the district was allegedly involved in several other incidents of loot, arson and killing, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details