Maoist leader Paparao has quit, claims police
Raipur: In what could be a major blow to Maoists, top leader Paparao who allegedly masterminded the Tadmetla massacre that claimed the lives of 75 CRPF jawans has quit the movement, according to police.
"We have received inputs that Maoist leader Paparao has left the movement and run away from Jagargunda area of Bijapur district with his wife," Bijapur SP Prashant Agrawal told PTI.
He, however, denied having any clue about Paparao`s whereabouts.
Paparao was the commander of the Southern Bastar Divisional Committee of the outlawed CPI (Maoist).
"There is also information about other Maoist leaders who left the movement and ran away along with their wives or women cadres during the last few months in the Bastar region," Agarwal said.
However, the official did not cite any specific reason behind Maoists quitting the insurgency movement.
Paparao who was active in the Basaguda and Jagargunda areas of the district was allegedly involved in several other incidents of loot, arson and killing, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"