Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Iron ore transportation by NMDC Ltd, India`s largest iron ore producer and exporter in the public sector, was affected in Chhattisgarh on the second day of a Maoist shutdown Sunday, an official said.
"The transportation of iron ore has been hit by upto 20 percent of daily dispatches of some 48,000 tonnes because the railways have refused to provide rakes during night, fearing attacks by Maoists," a senior NMDC official in Bacheli said.
The guerrillas had damaged tracks at two locations in Dantewada district Saturday, which had disrupted traffic for several hours between Kirandul and Visakhapatnam.
The NMDC has several mines at Bacheli and Kirandul hilly areas of Dantewada, which produce 75-80 percent of its total annual iron ore output.
A part of the iron ore is also exported to Japan and other Asian countries through Andhra Pradesh`s Visakhapatnam port.
The outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) had called for a 48-hour shutdown in several central and eastern parts of the country Saturday to protest against the arrest of its three central committee members in Bihar last month.
The rebels had killed a policeman and a civilian and also set three vehicles on fire Saturday in Bastar, a sprawling 40,000 sq km mineral-rich heavily forested area which has been a Maoist stronghold since the 1980s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org