Maoists fire dud `rocket` in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Maoist guerrillas fired a rocket-like object at a police station in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh Tuesday but it failed to explode, police said.
In another incident, a woman rebel was killed by security forces in Bijapur district, police said.
Sukma Superintendent of Police Abhishek Sandilya told IANS: "Maoist insurgents fired a rocket-like object at Golapalli Police Station from a jungle. The device landed at a spot some distance away and failed to explode. We have seized the object and are examining it."
According to police sources, the object was probably fired from a rocket-launcher. It landed nearly 30 feet away from the police station.
A woman Maoist was killed by the security forces in an hour-long gunfight in Bijapur district in the morning, police said.
Bijapur Superintendent of Police Prashant Agrawal said Central Reserve Police Force troopers and police shot dead the guerrilla in a forest near Sarkeguda village.
Two home-made guns and two bombs were seized from the spot.
Sarkeguda is the place where 17 villagers were killed allegedly by security forces June 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29