Maoists fire dud `rocket` in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Maoist guerrillas fired a rocket-like object at a police station in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh Tuesday but it failed to explode, police said.
In another incident, a woman rebel was killed by security forces in Bijapur district, police said.
Sukma Superintendent of Police Abhishek Sandilya told IANS: "Maoist insurgents fired a rocket-like object at Golapalli Police Station from a jungle. The device landed at a spot some distance away and failed to explode. We have seized the object and are examining it."
According to police sources, the object was probably fired from a rocket-launcher. It landed nearly 30 feet away from the police station.
A woman Maoist was killed by the security forces in an hour-long gunfight in Bijapur district in the morning, police said.
Bijapur Superintendent of Police Prashant Agrawal said Central Reserve Police Force troopers and police shot dead the guerrilla in a forest near Sarkeguda village.
Two home-made guns and two bombs were seized from the spot.
Sarkeguda is the place where 17 villagers were killed allegedly by security forces June 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’