Maoists fire dud `rocket` in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Maoist guerrillas fired a rocket-like object at a police station in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh Tuesday but it failed to explode, police said.
In another incident, a woman rebel was killed by security forces in Bijapur district, police said.
Sukma Superintendent of Police Abhishek Sandilya told IANS: "Maoist insurgents fired a rocket-like object at Golapalli Police Station from a jungle. The device landed at a spot some distance away and failed to explode. We have seized the object and are examining it."
According to police sources, the object was probably fired from a rocket-launcher. It landed nearly 30 feet away from the police station.
A woman Maoist was killed by the security forces in an hour-long gunfight in Bijapur district in the morning, police said.
Bijapur Superintendent of Police Prashant Agrawal said Central Reserve Police Force troopers and police shot dead the guerrilla in a forest near Sarkeguda village.
Two home-made guns and two bombs were seized from the spot.
Sarkeguda is the place where 17 villagers were killed allegedly by security forces June 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!