Maoists fire dud `rocket` in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Maoist guerrillas fired a rocket-like object at a police station in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh Tuesday but it failed to explode, police said.
In another incident, a woman rebel was killed by security forces in Bijapur district, police said.
Sukma Superintendent of Police Abhishek Sandilya told IANS: "Maoist insurgents fired a rocket-like object at Golapalli Police Station from a jungle. The device landed at a spot some distance away and failed to explode. We have seized the object and are examining it."
According to police sources, the object was probably fired from a rocket-launcher. It landed nearly 30 feet away from the police station.
A woman Maoist was killed by the security forces in an hour-long gunfight in Bijapur district in the morning, police said.
Bijapur Superintendent of Police Prashant Agrawal said Central Reserve Police Force troopers and police shot dead the guerrilla in a forest near Sarkeguda village.
Two home-made guns and two bombs were seized from the spot.
Sarkeguda is the place where 17 villagers were killed allegedly by security forces June 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS