Maoists hack Chhattisgarh scribe to death in market
Bijapur: Armed Maoists brutally killed media person Sai Reddy Friday at a weekly market in a forested patch of Chhattisgarh`s violence-hit Bijapur district, police officials said.
"A small group of suspected Maoists carried out repeated attacks (on Reddy) in a flash with sharp-edged weapons at Basaguda village weekly market," said Bijapur`s Superintendent of Police Prashant Agrawal.
He added that a severely-injured Reddy tried to run away but insurgents took hold of him and kept attacking him.
The assailants managed to escape after leaving Reddy in a pool of blood.
The attack was carried out in full public view and some eye witnesses called in Sanjivani Express, a free ambulance service, but Reddy died on the way to district headquarters Bijapur.
Top police officials have blamed Maoists for the nerve-racking killing of the 51-year-old Reddy, who was trusted by the media fraternity of Chhattisgarh for years for his factual reporting from Bijapur where thousands of tribal families have been caught in crossfire between Maoists and police since late 1980s.
Reddy`s murder has reminded the chilling, brutal killing of a journalist, Nemichand Jain, in February this year by Maoists in Bastar region where the ultras run a parallel government in vast forested interiors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan