Maoists take on govt forces in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A fierce gunbattle raged in a dense jungle in Chhattisgarh`s restive Bastar region Monday morning as armed Maoist guerrillas and security personnel exchanged fire, police said.
The gunbattle began around 9.30 a.m. at Kesamundi forest in Bijapur district, about 450 km from here, when Maoists fired at a joint combing team of the District Force (DF), Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF) and the Special Task Force (STF), a senior official at the police headquarters here said.
The official added, "Our soldiers have strongly retaliated."
There were no immediate details about casualties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP