Maoists take on govt forces in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A fierce gunbattle raged in a dense jungle in Chhattisgarh`s restive Bastar region Monday morning as armed Maoist guerrillas and security personnel exchanged fire, police said.
The gunbattle began around 9.30 a.m. at Kesamundi forest in Bijapur district, about 450 km from here, when Maoists fired at a joint combing team of the District Force (DF), Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF) and the Special Task Force (STF), a senior official at the police headquarters here said.
The official added, "Our soldiers have strongly retaliated."
There were no immediate details about casualties.
- Diesel, petrol cabs go off roads in Delhi, owners warn of suicides
- Lawsuit filed over Facebook's plan to issue new Class C stock
- Four-year-old boy rescued from borewell dies on way to Pune hospital in Maharashtra
- Aam Aadmi Party appoints Naveen Jaihind as Haryana convener
- IAF choppers dump water to douse forest fires; Centre sends probe team to Uttarakhand