Martyrs’ insult: Truck was clean, says official
Dantewada: Amid widespread outrage over the ferrying of three policemen killed in a Maoist landmine blast in Chhattisgarh in a garbage truck, a top official of the state has defended the action, Wednesday.
OP Choudhary, the Collector of Dantewada, said that the administration respects the martyrs and as the ambulances were used to transfer the injured (in the attack) to the nearest hospital, the bodies were transferred for the guard of honour ceremony in a truck that was “clean”.
Choudhary added that the truck, which belonged to Kirandul municipality, was well-maintained.
The administration adhered to all the rules, even decorated the coffins with flowers and had not in any way tried to hurt anyone’s sensitivities intentionally, he said.
Contrary to the Collector’s efforts to dismiss suggestions of any wrongdoing, state Home Minister Nanki Ram Kanwar only suggested that the incident happened because of some sort of “miscommunication” between the concerned officials.
However, the driver of the truck is on record confirming that the truck in question was regularly used to carry garbage.
Importantly, Chief Minister Raman Singh has so far not spoken out on the issue.
The policemen were killed in the Maoist landmine blast on Sunday night in Dantewada. They were part of a seven-member police team which was travelling in a Bolero jeep that ran over a landmine planted by Maoists.
Another policeman succumbed to injuries later.
DGP Vishwa Ranjan had earlier said that no ambulance was available at the time and that’s why the truck - the only municipality vehicle available – was used. He too said the mini-truck was washed and cleaned before the coffins were placed on it.
The bodies of Laxman Bhagat, Aslan Ekka and Bhushan Mandwai were brought to district headquarters Dantewada town from the blast site in Kirandul, some 40 km away, on Monday. The bodies were then dispatched to the policemen`s respective native villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark