Minor tribal girls` rape issue rocks Chhattisgarh assembly session
Raipur: The budget session of Chhattisgarh Assembly on Monday began amidst main opposition Congress members` uproar over the Kanker rape case involving minor tribal girls.
While Governor Shekhar Dutt was delivering his address, Congress members raised the issue of sexual assault on minor inmates of the government-run residential school for tribal girls in Jhaliyamari village of Kanker district and said tribal girls are not safe in the state and crime is on the rise.
The governor spoke about welfare and developmental measures, including the public distribution system (PDS), the Chhattisgarh Food Security Act, Mukhyamantri Tirth Yojana and others.
No sooner Dutt mentioned in his address that the state government is dedicated to ensure a safe and secure environment for women and girls, Leader of the opposition in the state assembly Ravindra Choubey (Cong) interrupted him saying the Jhaliyamari rape case indicated the government`s failure to provide security to tribal girls.
"Girls are not safe here and the government has failed to give them security," Choubey said, adding that crime is on the rise in the state and the Jhaliyamari issue should have been mentioned in the governor`s speech.
Later, other Congress MLAs joined him and tried to interrupt the governor`s address but they settled down after the intervention of Assembly Speaker Dharamlal Kaushik.
Soon after the speech was concluded, Speaker Kaushik said the discussion on the governor`s address will be held on February 21, 22 and 25 and adjourned the assembly till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31