Minor tribal girls` rape issue rocks Chhattisgarh assembly session
Raipur: The budget session of Chhattisgarh Assembly on Monday began amidst main opposition Congress members` uproar over the Kanker rape case involving minor tribal girls.
While Governor Shekhar Dutt was delivering his address, Congress members raised the issue of sexual assault on minor inmates of the government-run residential school for tribal girls in Jhaliyamari village of Kanker district and said tribal girls are not safe in the state and crime is on the rise.
The governor spoke about welfare and developmental measures, including the public distribution system (PDS), the Chhattisgarh Food Security Act, Mukhyamantri Tirth Yojana and others.
No sooner Dutt mentioned in his address that the state government is dedicated to ensure a safe and secure environment for women and girls, Leader of the opposition in the state assembly Ravindra Choubey (Cong) interrupted him saying the Jhaliyamari rape case indicated the government`s failure to provide security to tribal girls.
"Girls are not safe here and the government has failed to give them security," Choubey said, adding that crime is on the rise in the state and the Jhaliyamari issue should have been mentioned in the governor`s speech.
Later, other Congress MLAs joined him and tried to interrupt the governor`s address but they settled down after the intervention of Assembly Speaker Dharamlal Kaushik.
Soon after the speech was concluded, Speaker Kaushik said the discussion on the governor`s address will be held on February 21, 22 and 25 and adjourned the assembly till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened