Model code of conduct implemented in Chhattisgarh state
Raipur: With the announcement of assembly polls in five states including Chhattisgarh, the model code of conduct on Friday came into force in the state where a two-phased polling will be held in November.
"With the announcement of poll schedules, district election officers have been directed to implement the model code of conduct," Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Kujur told reporters Friday evening.
As many as 18 Maoist-affected constituencies of the state`s southern region would witness polling in the first phase on November 11, while the rest of the 72 constituencies would go to polls in the second phase on November 19.
"Eighteen constituencies in Bastar, Bijapur, Kondagaon, Sukma, Kondagaon, Kanker and Rajnandgaon will go to polls in the first phase," Kujur said.
Gazette notification for the first phase will be issued on October 18, with filing of nominations to begin on the same day, he said.
Final date for filing nominations has been scheduled on October 25, after which scrutiny of nominations would be completed by the next day.
Contestants may withdraw their name by October 28, well before the first phase of polling on November 11.
Similarly, the gazette notification for the second phase will be issued on October 25.
The last date to file nominations will be November 1 and scrutiny will be completed by the next day.
Contestants may withdraw their candidatures until November 4 after which 72 constituencies would go to polls on Novem ber 19, Kujur said.
Counting for both phases would be held on December 8, he said, adding that there are almost 1,67,97,368 voters in the state of which 85,51,862 are men and 82,45,506 are women.
A total of 21,418 polling stations in the state require 1.10 lakh personnel for conducting elections.
So far more than 99 per cent of voter identities have been prepared in the state, he said.
For the first time, the Election Commission will provide a "None Of The Above" (NOTA) button on electronic voting machines (EVMs).
In the wake of announcement of polls, Director General of Police Ramniwas told that enough security forces are available to ensure fearless elections and EC directives would be followed.
"For peaceful elections, the police has begun checking licensed weapons across the state and very soon all licensed weapons will be deposited. Security has been beefed up to check illegal sale of liquor and movement of illegal weapons," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt