`Mosquito god` worshipped to ward off dengue
Bokaro: To ward off dengue and malaria fever, people in Jharkhand`s Bokaro district are offering prayers to the `mosquito god` to seek a shield against the life-threatening mosquito-borne diseases.
A big mosquito statue was installed at Chas a day earlier and a procession organised Monday by devotees who beat drums and chanted mantras to appease the winged god.
A priest recited mantras in the presence of hundreds of people and the statue was also garlanded and worshipped before the holy fire.
"Hundreds of suspected dengue cases have been reported in the district. The health department is yet to wake up. We have sought a shield from the `mosquito god` and tried to appease it by installing a statute and worshipping it," Rajendra Mahto, a district resident, told reporters.
Four people have died of suspected dengue in the district which has reported around 130 cases of high fever this season. The blood samples of the patients have been sent to Ranchi and the district administration was yet to confirm the dengue cases.
"There is no facility in the district to detect dengue. The government has failed to act in time to curb the menace," said Poonam Sinha, another devotee of the `mosquito god`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!