`Mosquito god` worshipped to ward off dengue
Bokaro: To ward off dengue and malaria fever, people in Jharkhand`s Bokaro district are offering prayers to the `mosquito god` to seek a shield against the life-threatening mosquito-borne diseases.
A big mosquito statue was installed at Chas a day earlier and a procession organised Monday by devotees who beat drums and chanted mantras to appease the winged god.
A priest recited mantras in the presence of hundreds of people and the statue was also garlanded and worshipped before the holy fire.
"Hundreds of suspected dengue cases have been reported in the district. The health department is yet to wake up. We have sought a shield from the `mosquito god` and tried to appease it by installing a statute and worshipping it," Rajendra Mahto, a district resident, told reporters.
Four people have died of suspected dengue in the district which has reported around 130 cases of high fever this season. The blood samples of the patients have been sent to Ranchi and the district administration was yet to confirm the dengue cases.
"There is no facility in the district to detect dengue. The government has failed to act in time to curb the menace," said Poonam Sinha, another devotee of the `mosquito god`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- At least 700 dead after series of shipwrecks off Libyan coast
- Sidharth Malhotra is spilling hotness all over this summer! - Pic inside
- No touching! Operate Google's smartwatches just with hand gestures - Watch
- Indo-Pak bilateral series: Pakistan govt tells PCB not to initiate dialogue with BCCI
- PCB confident of getting Mohammad Amir's visa for England tour