Naxal arrested, ammunition seized in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A Naxal was arrested and a cache of ammunition and electronic gadgets recovered in separate incidents in Chhattisgarh`s Kondagaon district, where security personnel exchanged fire with rebels, police said on Wednesday.
Jugdhar Muria, a member of banned CPI (Maoist), was nabbed from his native Lakhapuri village under Mardpal police station limits last evening, Surjit Atri, Kondagaon Additional Superintendent of Police, told PTI.
Acting on a tip-off that the 45-year-old ultra had arrived at his native place, around 300km from here, a police team was mobilised there. The team surrounded the village and apprehended Muria, he said.
He was involved in several incidents of crime, including attacks on police personnel, looting of weapons and arson. Muria was today produced in a local court, which sent him to jail, Atri added.
In a separate incident, security personnel recovered a cache of ammunition and electronic gadgets after busting a Naxal transit hideout in Kilam forests under Mardapal region.
A joint squad of Special Task Force (STF) and district force was on an area domination exercise in the region since Monday. On sensing that security forces were near restive Kilam village, around 35-40 armed rebels, led by "commander" Mangesh yesterday opened indiscriminate fire on them, he said.
The security personnel retaliated and the gunfight lasted for about an hour, but no casualties were reported from either side, the ASP said.
The rebels later fled to the core forest area after setting their camp on fire. However, police managed to recover a walkie-talkie, tiffin bomb, live cartridges, a couple of hand grenades, detonators, wires, tent, radio, items of daily use and food material from the encounter site, Atri added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly