Naxal arrested, ammunition seized in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A Naxal was arrested and a cache of ammunition and electronic gadgets recovered in separate incidents in Chhattisgarh`s Kondagaon district, where security personnel exchanged fire with rebels, police said on Wednesday.
Jugdhar Muria, a member of banned CPI (Maoist), was nabbed from his native Lakhapuri village under Mardpal police station limits last evening, Surjit Atri, Kondagaon Additional Superintendent of Police, told PTI.
Acting on a tip-off that the 45-year-old ultra had arrived at his native place, around 300km from here, a police team was mobilised there. The team surrounded the village and apprehended Muria, he said.
He was involved in several incidents of crime, including attacks on police personnel, looting of weapons and arson. Muria was today produced in a local court, which sent him to jail, Atri added.
In a separate incident, security personnel recovered a cache of ammunition and electronic gadgets after busting a Naxal transit hideout in Kilam forests under Mardapal region.
A joint squad of Special Task Force (STF) and district force was on an area domination exercise in the region since Monday. On sensing that security forces were near restive Kilam village, around 35-40 armed rebels, led by "commander" Mangesh yesterday opened indiscriminate fire on them, he said.
The security personnel retaliated and the gunfight lasted for about an hour, but no casualties were reported from either side, the ASP said.
The rebels later fled to the core forest area after setting their camp on fire. However, police managed to recover a walkie-talkie, tiffin bomb, live cartridges, a couple of hand grenades, detonators, wires, tent, radio, items of daily use and food material from the encounter site, Atri added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency