Naxal attack: Congress gives call for Chhattisgarh bandh
Raipur: The Opposition Congress in Chhattisgarh has called for a state bandh on March 14 in view of the yesterday`s Naxal attack in Sukma district in which 15 security personnel and a civilian lost their lives.
The state party unit has called for a Chhattisgarh bandh in protest against the second Naxal ambush in Sukma district`s Jiram valley (in a year), Pradesh Congress Committee spokesman Sushil Kumar Shukla said here on Wednesday.
State Congress president Bhupesh Baghel has appealed the business, industrial and social establishments to lend support for a successful bandh, Shukla said.
Emergency services and academic examinations would be excluded from the bandh.
The entire country was forced to live under the shadow of Naxal terror. The ultras were daily killing security personnel and common people in a barbaric manner, Baghel said.
The state government has become a mute spectator towards such incidents. After every Naxal attack, Chief Minister Raman Singh condemns it merely as a formality, he alleged.
The Naxals had ambushed a security patrol in the worst-hit Sukma district yesterday in which 11 personnel of Central Reserve Police Force, four jawans of Chhattisgarh police and one civilian were killed.
While the state government has ordered a high-level departmental inquiry into the attack, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde today vowed to take "revenge" for it.
The Opposition has demanded resignation of Raman Singh following the incident.
The attack was carried out barely five kms from the area where virtually the top Congress leadership of the state was wiped out by Maoists in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post