Naxal attack in Chattisgarh: We are with victims’ families, says Rahul Gandhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on Sunday termed the Maoist attack on his party leaders as not an attack on Congress but an attack on democracy. A day after the attack, Rahul reached Raipur and met former union minister VC Shukla and other party workers who were injured in the attack.
“It is not an attack on Congress. It is an attack on democracy. But, we`ll not fear from such an attack and continue to move forward with enthusiasm," Rahul Gandhi said.
Criticising the attack, Rahul Gandhi said, “The Congress party is with the workers, leaders and their families.”
Rahul further said that Shukla will be sent Delhi for further treatment once his condition stabilises.
The attack took place on Saturday when around 150 Naxals ambushed a convoy of Congress party workers and leaders in Jagdalpur killing 17 people and injuring 20 others.
Senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma was killed in the attack while former union minister VC Shukla was injured.
Chhattisgarh Congress Committee chief Nand Kumar Patel, who was allegedly kidnapped by the Naxals, was found dead in a jungle near Darba Gati Valley near Jagdalpur on Sunday.
Patel`s son, who is also missing since the attack, remains untraced.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi will also be visiting on Sunday.
Responding to a question on the imposition of President`s Rule in the state the Gandhi family scion said "it is not time to do politics. It`s a very sad incident and we all have to stand by it together," he said.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan