Naxal attack: Injured policemen airlifted to Raipur
Raipur: Two policemen injured in naxal attack at Temelwada area of Sukma district were air-lifted to Raipur for treatment on Saturday, Director General of Police Ramniwas said.
Naxals attacked the Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF) party yesterday during the road-opening task in the forests of Temelwada village under Chintagufa police station limits of Sukma district.
While head constable Baisuram Mandavi was killed in the attack, platoon commander Nandkishore Bhadoriya sustained injuries.
Later, an IAF helicopter Mi-17 was sent to rescue the CAF personnel from Temelwada village.
When the helicopter, having seven people on-board, was descending to pick up the injured jawan of the CAF, naxals fired at it and injured the radio operator MK Sahu, who was on-board. Sahu is reported to be critical.
After the attack, the chopper had to make a forced landing in forests of Chitagufa police station area.
"The injured platoon commander Nandkishore Bhadoriya and radio operator MK Sahu, who was onboard the chopper, have been air lifted to Raipur for better treatment," Director General of Police Ramniwas told PTI today.
"Technical officials of the Indian Air Force have reached the spot where the chopper made crash landing after it was attacked," the DGP said.
After few hours of landing, the CRPF troopers cordoned off the helicopter and rushed reinforcements to the area, Ramniwas said.
Additional Director General (ADG) of Naxal Operation RK Vij, ADG, Intelligence Bureau (IB) Mukesh Gupta and Inspector General of Police, CRPF, Zulfiqar Hasan have left for Sukma to ascertain the situation today, the DGP added.
Chief Minister Raman Singh strongly condemned the attack and said security forces have to be more alert.
He expressed grief over the death of the jawan in naxal attack in Temelwada. He also prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured jawans.
Singh had also called a meeting with senior police officials at his official residence to take stock of incident last night, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report