Naxal attack: Missing policeman contacts family
Raipur: Chhattisgarh police on Wednesday said the
lone policeman who had been missing since the Naxal ambush in
Gariabandh area on Monday was apparently safe, and he had
contacted his family.
Top officials also said that as per the primary
investigation, ‘Military’ dalam of Naxals, which operates in
Mainpur area of the state, as well as in the neighbouring
Orissa, was involved in the ambush.
Police forces had been dispatched in large numbers to
look for the Maoists as well as the missing policeman,
constable Holaram Sahu.
Sahu`s family told police that he was in contact with
them. But he had not contacted the police yet, officials said.
They added that as per the available information, he had
not been abducted by the Naxals.
In the ambush along the Chhattisgarh-Orissa border on
Monday, nine policemen, including Additional Superintendent of
Police Rajesh Pawar, were killed. Sahu was a part of the
police team led by Pawar.
As to what went wrong when Pawar`s team became the target
of a heavy ambush, officials said that Naxals took advantage
of the situation when the police vehicle broke down.
ASP Pawar knew the area well and was instrumental in the
surrender of many Naxals, they said.
Meanwhile, state Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar here said
that police officers had been instructed not to venture into
Naxal-affected areas with a vehicle.
The disregard of the instruction proved costly, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket