Naxal attack: Missing policeman contacts family
Raipur: Chhattisgarh police on Wednesday said the
lone policeman, who had been missing since the naxal ambush in
Gariabandh area on Monday was apparently safe, and he had
contacted his family.
Top officials also said that as per the primary
investigation, `Military` unit of naxals, which operates in
Mainpur area of the state, as well as in the neighbouring
Orissa, was involved in the ambush.
Police forces had been dispatched in large numbers to
look for the Maoists as well as the missing policeman,
constable Holaram Sahu, they said.
Sahu`s family has informed that he was in contact with
them. But he had not contacted the police yet, officials said,
adding that as per the available information, he had not been
abducted by the naxals.
In the ambush along the Chhattisgarh-Orissa border on
Monday, nine policemen, including Additional Superintendent of
Police Rajesh Pawar, were killed. Sahu was part of the police
team led by Pawar.
Asked about what went wrong when Pawar`s team became the
target of a heavy ambush, the officials said that naxals took
advantage of the situation when the police vehicle broke down.
ASP Pawar knew the area well and was instrumental in the
surrender of many naxals, they said.
Meanwhile, state Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar here said
that police officers had been instructed not to venture into
naxal-affected areas with a vehicle.
The disregard of the instruction proved costly, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam