Naxal attack: Missing policeman contacts family
Raipur: Chhattisgarh police on Wednesday said the
lone policeman, who had been missing since the naxal ambush in
Gariabandh area on Monday was apparently safe, and he had
contacted his family.
Top officials also said that as per the primary
investigation, `Military` unit of naxals, which operates in
Mainpur area of the state, as well as in the neighbouring
Orissa, was involved in the ambush.
Police forces had been dispatched in large numbers to
look for the Maoists as well as the missing policeman,
constable Holaram Sahu, they said.
Sahu`s family has informed that he was in contact with
them. But he had not contacted the police yet, officials said,
adding that as per the available information, he had not been
abducted by the naxals.
In the ambush along the Chhattisgarh-Orissa border on
Monday, nine policemen, including Additional Superintendent of
Police Rajesh Pawar, were killed. Sahu was part of the police
team led by Pawar.
Asked about what went wrong when Pawar`s team became the
target of a heavy ambush, the officials said that naxals took
advantage of the situation when the police vehicle broke down.
ASP Pawar knew the area well and was instrumental in the
surrender of many naxals, they said.
Meanwhile, state Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar here said
that police officers had been instructed not to venture into
naxal-affected areas with a vehicle.
The disregard of the instruction proved costly, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued