Naxal attack: Sonia hails courage of Cong leaders
Raipur: Appreciating the courage of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Sunday said the "cowardly" Maoist strike was not an attack on the Congress or its leaders but on democratic values.
"I appreciate the courage and bravery of the leaders who inspite of several adversities, took a step and went there," she said addressing party workers at the Congress Bhawan here after visiting the injured in hospital.
"This is a cowardly act on the part of Maoists. It is not an attack on Congress or its leaders, but an attack on democratic values," she said while expressing grief and anguish over the Naxal attack.
The attack is a "challenge for us," she said and added that people have seen that leaders have faced challenges and sacrificed their lives.
Heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chattisgarh`s Sukma district on Saturday, killing 27 people including senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma, state party chief Nand Kumar Patel and injuring senior leader V C Shukla and 31 others.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know