Naxal attack: Sonia hails courage of Cong leaders
Raipur: Appreciating the courage of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Sunday said the "cowardly" Maoist strike was not an attack on the Congress or its leaders but on democratic values.
"I appreciate the courage and bravery of the leaders who inspite of several adversities, took a step and went there," she said addressing party workers at the Congress Bhawan here after visiting the injured in hospital.
"This is a cowardly act on the part of Maoists. It is not an attack on Congress or its leaders, but an attack on democratic values," she said while expressing grief and anguish over the Naxal attack.
The attack is a "challenge for us," she said and added that people have seen that leaders have faced challenges and sacrificed their lives.
Heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chattisgarh`s Sukma district on Saturday, killing 27 people including senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma, state party chief Nand Kumar Patel and injuring senior leader V C Shukla and 31 others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India