Naxal commander killed in Chhattisgarh encounter
Raipur: A naxal commander was killed and many ultras are feared injured in an encounter with a joint team of police and CRPF in Bijapur forests of Chhattisgarh, police said today.
"The gun battle between naxalites and the joint team of district police and CRPF took place in the forests of Gorna Pujaripara villages under Bijapur police station limits, over 400 kms from here, last night," a senior police officer told PTI.
He said the joint team came under naxal fire when it was conducting combing operations in Gorna, Mankeli and Pangud villages in the region.
On seeing the patrol party nearing Gorna village, about 20-30 armed rebels, including women, opened indiscriminate fire which was retaliated, leaving the naxal commander dead, the officer said.
"Several other naxals had received bullet injuries but their comrades managed to flee along with them to core forest area by taking advantage of darkness," according to the officer.
He said that even though identity of the slain Maoist was being established, prima facie he appears to be militia commander of Gorna and Bodlapusnar area in the region.
Police recovered a .303 rifle, few live rounds, a couple of hand-grenades, a bag and other things of daily use from the spot.
"The search party reached to its camp this evening after conducting the operation," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi